Everything is growing and blooming around here. I am tired yet filled with energy. We are usually out planting or prepping or whatever else needs to happen around this little farmstead until dusk. We eat dinner whenever our bellies grumble to a point we cannot ignore and Catalpa is literally covered in dirt. We slip into the bath just to scrub off what we can before crashing into bed with books and cuddles and songs and stories. Then the moon comes out, and the spring breeze makes our curtains flow in and out like the rising and falling of a chest. Catalpa snores. After our bedtime rituals are successful we sneak out to have a moment, finish a project, clean the dishes in the sink, or we give in to our bodies that are begging us for more sleep and stay in bed.
The spring harvest is always so sweet -- greens galore, herbs that overwinter growing vigorously and stronger than last year, garlic popping up (even though you are nervous it will not), spring flowers, and ... radishes! Radishes in every color. It always seems so odd that these tiny bright pink and purple beauties just pop out of the ground from the tiniest seed. I am living on salads and sunlight. The nettles are now up to my hip, the mulberries were hit by frost, but I am begging them to set some fruit. I cannot live without mulberry cobbler. The elderberries are surrounded by nettles, which will make harvesting flowers & fruits interesting and memorable, I suppose.
There is much to say about creature friends; I spotted the tiniest snake the color of sand with a few black spots the other day. Ticks are out now. Bats have become friends, a few sneaking into our house in the evening, helping us with a little bug clean-up. Today I spotted two woodpeckers with bright red heads, chatting, it seemed. And yesterday, during a difficult moment I watched two hawks dancing before finding comfort high up in the cottonwood tree. A week ago Tyler found a rare prairie skink.
I am a spring being. I was born in spring, and it certainly has colored who I am, how I think, how I tick. The rain, the wind, the storms, and every little green poking up through soil reminds me that we made it, we're still alive, we're still breathing, and we can come out from our burrows again.
I can't say this has been easy. No, in fact, I have been struggling and fighting with the quick and rapid changes my body is making to support another human being. It has all happened quicker, and according to me (how I've "felt" it) with less grace than the time before. I am stretched and achy and grouchy and still wondering why those of us with uteruses have to feel so crappy (much of the time) when something so wonderful is happening inside us.
I decided about two weeks ago it was time to start celebrating. Frankly, I haven't been doing much of that, and admitting it makes me a bit sad. It isn't because I don't want to celebrate, but more because I just...don't...have the energy (nor time). Also, I had a lot of support and friends living in close proximity to me during my first pregnancy, this time is much different. There is much to celebrate and the anticipation of meeting another person, of seeing and touching and being so close with this new child, makes me feel crazy. I cannot wait. (I can wait). Also, I am returning to a time when I can be very, very in touch with my instinctual self. Yes! There are so many things to celebrate.
It is hard to connect and listen, to hum and sing and sit in the prairie grass with this little human like I did so often when Catalpa was growing inside me. It is hard because I am chasing a two-year-old, working 45 miles away from home 3 or more days a week, and I am (despite my best efforts) surrounded by a constant to-do-list when home aka "farming." I must savour whatever time I can spend "connecting" or being present with my current growing-another-human status.
I'm glad to be back here. I need outlets, creative outlets, me-time outlets, self-care outlets, story-telling outlets, a little bit of therapy outlets. You know what I mean? This has always been enjoyable -- sharing, telling stories, talking about dreams and the dreamy world I am a part of. I am happy to be telling my story from Hancock, Iowa -- because being here right now is exactly where I want to be, and growing food for people is just what I want to be doing.
I love this Cait. I feel like I can identify with some parts. I used to feel so comfortable with nomadic life and now I want to be home, although I am not totally sure where that is yet. And the need for outlets, I feel that too. There are a lot of things that I once gave my mind and my time to that I haven't in a while and a lot of things I desire and creative skills I want to develop that I haven't propelled myself to put energy towards. Thanks for this! Celebrate on, sister.
ReplyDelete